Edge Azwan

Friday, September 4, 2009

Rayna & 39 ℃


My baby is sick. Possibly sick from the vaccine intended to protect her from illness. And I am sick at heart. You see, I took her in for her 5-month well baby visit four days ago. At that time, she received two vaccinations: DTP and Rotavirus.

Two days after my baby received the vaccine, she started having mild diarrhea and high fever. I didn’t think much of it, until 12 hours later when she threw up (and I earned a daddy Medal by catching it in my hand, thankyouverymuch!) The next day, her mood had gone from cuddly to miserable and she spiked a fever of over 39. Since then I've had to hold her non-stop, including do my work with her, she actually fell asleep while laying on me! Poor kid.

I am worried for her. She is crying and just a bit sleepy. Thank goodness i'm working from home this week, which keeps me watching her 24 hours non stop. And that little body just starts cranking up the heat. I can literally feel the heat off the top of her head. I think the saddest thing I've ever experienced is every time her fever comes back she gets the chills and curls up on top of me and just shivers.

I am not “pro-vaccine” or “anti-vaccine.” I am all about the informed decision. I fully recognize that my daughter might not actually have rotavirus, or that she might have rotavirus but have contracted it from a source other than the live vaccine. I do feel though that this diarrhea, vomiting, and fever constitute a potential adverse reaction to the vaccine. People around were telling us of the possibility of brain damage. Oh, how we prayed for you that night.

Now that you are sleeping with mama while I'm writing this, we know that Allah has prepared something great and special for you.
I swear I had to fight back the tears, put on my pray and be "the dad".

Rayna, we will always pray for you.

Labels:

just my 2cents at 1:01 AM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home