Edge Azwan

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BPA - Percuma

What is BPA?

Bisphenol A (BPA) is an organic compound with 2 phenol functional groups, or in a more understandable sense for the likes of you and I, it is an important compound used to produce plastics. Studies on it was already being done in 1930's as there was a suspect of it being hazards, but only in 2008, it became a common topic in the news as some governments posts concerns on its safety. BPA is widely used synthetic chemical in the plastics industry, is found in polycarbonate plastic food and beverage containers, like baby bottles, baby formula containers, sports water bottles and epoxy resins that line metal cans of food. Recent media reports question the safety of products made with polycarbonate plastic and specifically, Bisphenol A (BPA), which is used in the manufacture of polycarbonate products. “


As a father of Rayna, I’ve been doing a fair amount of research on BPA, its effects, and products containing it. I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little freaked out. It’s in Rayna’s bottles, pacifiers, our cups, and bowls. And, it’s in the water bottles that Zatty and I drink from daily. I wasn't taking it in seriously because I thought, we all grew up fine. I'm sure those days, there are no such thing as BPA free and what not. But then, my instinct kicked in, and yes, I would and have made the extra effort to purchase slightly more expensive bottles for Rayna, which are BPA free.

Rest assured, the evidence is not 100% conclusive that our daughter or we will have health issues in life due to exposure to this chemical, but who wants to expose our kids to any more risk than they’ll already be exposed to? BPA has shown negative effects to animals exposed to the chemical. That’s all that I need to read to know that I don’t want it in my kids or in my family.

So, soon I’m going to purge our house of all plastics that I am not sure are clear of BPA. This will include all of our current baby bottles, pacifiers, plates, etc. We’ll stick to glass where we can right now, and will purchase BPA-free to replace what needs to be replaced and find alternative by buying a boxed FM (formula milk) instead of a canned FM.

BPA – Cheat sheet

Labels:

just my 2cents at 4:53 PM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home