Edge Azwan

Monday, March 18, 2013

No salary adjustment..

.. until you’ve resigned? 



 I’ve just got my salary increment/bonus notification few days ago. I’m happy but not to the state of jumping up and down around the office. At least, it’s better than my expectation especially I’m just join less than 1 year and during such difficult period of time when most companies (mine included) are not doing that well. 

However, some of my friends are not pleased with their increment. I only told them that they should talk to the bosses if they’re not happy with it. Maybe together, they can come out with a solution. 

Hmm, the thing is, there are some companies I’ve heard of, which don’t give people much pay raise until the day they give their resignation letter. Then the boss will start to panic, and will ask the person for an emergency meeting. They will sit down and the boss will say..

Boss : How much did they offer you?

Victim : RM xxxx per month 

Boss : Hmm….what if I counter offer you? 

Victim : ...

Boss : 10% more than your current 

Victim : but the new pay is 20% more 

Boss : Ok, I’ll pay you the same as the new offer. 

The thing is, normally people leave it’s because the new job offers more (in terms of prospects, excitement and money). In this case, let’s talk about the “money” part. There are a lot of companies who don’t give increment to employees (or minimal increment). It happened to me once. The company did not give me any increment, and gave me a RM 75 bonus. I was so furious since I’ve worked 12 hours a day for them (minimum) and my performance review was very good. So I found a job which paid me 30% more. When I resigned, my manager said she wanted to counter offer me with the same amount. I said why didn’t the company do that earlier. In the end, I rejected even though the updated salary (after the counter) was higher than the new salary. 

The thing is, employers should try to retain their employees WHILE they (the employees) are still in the company and not when they’ve resigned. Furthermore, what’s the point of keeping an employee who has already set his mind on leaving? It’s better to keep the loyal and good employees. 

Just my opinion anyway. But well.. sadly.. you’ll get to see a lot of such incidents in Malaysia companies.

Labels:

just my 2cents at 11:53 AM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home